The National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences Diploma in Ophthalmology (DO) is a postgraduate course for doctors in India that they can pursue after completing their MBBS. This course has a duration of 2 years and focuses on the physiology, anatomy, and ailments related to the eye. It covers topics such as refraction, reflection, properties of light, detection, prevention, and treatment of eye disorders and issues related to the visual system.
This is a full-time course available at recognized medical colleges throughout the country. Renowned institutions such as General Hospital in Sector – 6, Panchkula, Haryana, Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital in Alwar, Rajasthan, Government Medical College and Associated Hospital in Jammu and Kashmir, and others offer this course.
To enroll in this course, one must take the NEET PG Entrance exam administered by the National Board of Examinations. After that, based on the exam scores, counseling will be conducted by DGHS/MCC/State Authorities to finalize the admission process.
The fee for pursuing NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology is Rs.1,25,000 per year.
Once doctors complete the NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology, they can choose to enter the job market or continue their education by pursuing advanced degree programs such as master’s degrees and research degree courses recognized by NBEMS, for which the NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology serves as a feeder qualification.
Graduates of this course can seek employment in various reputable positions, including Registrar, Senior Resident, Demonstrator, Tutor, and others.
In the private sector, individuals holding an NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology can explore various career paths such as Surgeon, Resident Doctor, Consultant, Visiting Consultant (Ophthalmologist), Junior Consultant, Senior Consultant (Ophthalmologist), Medical Professor, Medical Researcher, Lecturer, among others.
The approximate salary range for these positions is around Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 per annum.
What is NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology?
The NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology is a two-year postgraduate program available for MBBS graduates. This course deals with the anatomy, physiology, and diseases of the eye, including geometric optics, light properties, and related topics.
The National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences has established guidelines for the Competency-Based Postgraduate Training Program for NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology. The program aims to produce competent specialists who can contribute to high-quality healthcare and scientific advancements through research and training.
The required training for postgraduate specialists in Ophthalmology includes recognizing community health needs, effective medical problem handling, and staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in the field. Candidates are expected to possess a wide range of skills to work independently as highly competent Ophthalmologists.
Moreover, candidates should have knowledge of research methodology principles, consulting library modes, and attend various conferences, workshops, and CMEs regularly to upgrade their knowledge.
The course highlights of the NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology are listed below:
Name of Course: NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology
Duration of Course:Two years
Course Mode: Full Time
Minimum Academic Requirement: Candidates must have successfully completed an MBBS degree obtained from any college/university recognized by the Medical Council of India (Now NMC) and should have completed one year of Internship
Admission Process / Entrance Process / Entrance Modalities: Entrance Exam (NEET PG) INI CET for various AIIMS, PGIMER Chandigarh, JIPMER Puducherry, NIMHANS Bengaluru Counseling by DGHS/MCC/State Authorities
Course Fees: Rs. 1,25,000 per annum
Average Salary:Rs. 2,00,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 per Annum
- Aspirants must hold an MBBS degree or a Provisional MBBS Pass Certificate recognized according to the provisions of the NBEMS Act, 2019, and the repealed Indian Medical Council Act, 1956.
- Candidates must have a permanent or provisional registration certificate of MBBS qualification issued by NBEMS/the erstwhile Medical Council of India or State Medical Council.
- The candidate should have completed one year of internship.
- To be eligible for admission, the candidate must have obtained permanent registration with any State Medical Council.
- The Medical Council of India (now NBEMS) prescribes the recognition cut-off dates for the MBBS Degree courses and compulsory rotatory Internship at the medical college.
Candidates who wish to pursue NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology must follow a specific admission process that includes the following steps:
- Candidates who have completed their MBBS degree and have qualified for the NEET-PG examination conducted by NBEMS can apply for the 2-year Diploma course.
- The admission to the course is based on merit and counseling conducted by the Medical Counseling Committee of DGHS, MOHFW, Govt of India, which also manages the counseling for various other MD/MS/PG Diploma courses.
- Once the candidate is allotted a seat for NBEMS Diploma, he/she is registered with NBEMS as a Diploma Trainee for the respective course.
On average, the fee for NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology is around Rs. 1,25,000 per year, with government institutes charging lower fees than private institutes.
Upon completion of an NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology, candidates can seek employment opportunities in both the Government and Private sectors. In the Government sector, candidates can choose from various positions, such as Registrar, Senior Resident, Demonstrator, Tutor, and more. On the other hand, the Private sector offers positions such as Surgeon, General Physician, Resident Doctor, Consultant, Visiting Consultant (Ophthalmologist), Junior Consultant (Ophthalmologist), Senior Consultant (Ophthalmologist), Medical Professor (Ophthalmologist), Medical Researcher, Lecturer, among others.
Courses After NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology
The NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology is a post-graduate course that one can pursue after completing MBBS. Upon completing this specialization, a candidate can pursue higher degree courses, such as master’s and research degree programs recognized by NBEMS, where the NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology serves as a feeder qualification. Additionally, candidates who possess NBEMS diploma qualifications are eligible to appear for the DNB PDCET examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations to gain admission to Post Diploma DNB Broad specialty Courses.
Colleges offering NBEMS Diploma in Opthalmology.
According to information available on the NBEMS website, several medical colleges in India are providing courses for candidates interested in pursuing NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology for the academic year 2023-24.
- Abhi Eye Hospital JOTHI MILL STREET, JOTHI NAGAR, ATTUR- 636102 Tamil Nadu Tamil Nadu-636102
- Acchutha Eye Care H3 EVN Road, Periyar Nagar, Near Surampatti Nal Road, Erode Tamil Nadu Tamil Nadu-638009
- Aditya Birla Memorial Hospital P.O. Chinchwad, Pune Maharashtra- 411033 Ahalia Foundation Eye Hospital Palakkad Kerala-678557
- Amardeep Eye Care 12/694, 2nd Milestone, Kollam, Kerala-691004 ANIL KULKARNI EYE HOSPITAL 2/20-21, Hiremath Plots, Near Vantmure Corner, Sangli Road, Miraj Maharashtra-416410
- Anugraha Eye Hospital Navabhag Main Road, Behind Central Bus Stand, Near Secab College, Vijayapura. Kamataka Kamataka-586101
- Arambagh Sub Divisional/ Super Speciality Hospital Arambagh Hooghly West Bengal West Bengal-712601
- Area Hospital Adoni Andhra Pradesh Andhra Pradesh-518301 Asansol District Hospital S B Gorai Road, PO + PS: Asansol West Bengal-713301
- Associated Hospital Government Medical College Kanthbagh Baramulla Jammu and Kashmir-193101
- Autonomous State Medical college Society and S.N.M District Hospital Rehna Rd, Bypass Rd, NH-2, Comapny Baag, Arya Nagar, Firozabad Uttar Pradesh-283203
- Balrampur Hospital Golaganj Lucknow Uttar Pradesh-226018
- Baruipur Sub Division Hospital Kulpi Road, P.O+PS – Baruipur, District – South 24 Parganas, State – West Bengal West Bengal-700144
- Bhagat Phool Singh Govt. Medical College for Women Khanpur Kalan (Sonepat) Haryana-131305
- Bhavsinhji and Maharani Rupaliba General Hospital Porbandar, Near: Navyug Vidhyalaya, S T Bus Station Road, Porbandar Gujarat-360575
- Bhima Bhoi Medical College and Hospital, Balangir At-Laltikra Po- Rajendra College, Balangir Orissa-767002
- BOLPUR SUB DIVISION HOSPITAL NANOOR CHANDIDAS ROAD, BOLPUR, BIRBHUM West Bengal-731204
- Capital Hospital Bhubaneswar Unit-6, Near Airport Orissa Orissa- 751001
- Central Hospital Gandhinagar, Kanke Road, Ranchi Jharkhand-834008 Chaithanya Eye Hospital and Research Institute Thiruvalla Kerala- 689105
- Chaithanya Eye Institute (A Unit of KGR Visionary LLP Palarivattom, Ernakulam Kerala-682024
- Chettinad Super Speciality Hospital Rajiv Gandhi Salai (OMR), Kelambakkam, Chengalpattu District, Tamil Nadu Tamil Nadu-603103
- Choithram Netralaya Plot No. 54-56, Shriram Talawadi, Dhar Road, Indore Madhya Pradesh-445300
- Choudhury Eye Hospital And Research Centre Shyamaprasad Road (Shillongpatty), Silchar Assam Assam-788001
- Civil Hospital Ambala Cantt, Ambala Haryana Haryana-133001 Civil Hospital Bahadurgarh, District Jhajjar Haryana-124507
- Civil Hospital Rohtak Subhash Road Near Gohana Adda Rohtak, Haryana Haryana-124001
- Civil Hospital Palwal Near Old Sohna Road Palwal Haryana-121102
- Comtrust Eye Hospital Mini Bye Pass Road, Puthiyara, Kozhikode, Calicut Kerala-673004
- Cottage Hospital Station Road, Upleta Dist.- Rajkot Gujarat-360490
- Deben Mahato (Sadar) Hospital Purulia West Bengal-0
- Dhir Hospital Meham Chowk Circular Road Bhiwani Haryana-127021
- Diamond Harbour Government Medical College And Hospital Harindanga, Newtown, Ward no. -04, PO and PS – Diamond Harbour, Pin-743331, Dist – south 24 Parganas West Bengal West Bengal- 743331
- District Hospital 10, Biplabi Haren Ghosh Sarani, Howrah West Bengal- 711101
- District Hospital APVVP, Proddatur Yerraguntla Bye pass road, Proddatur Andhra Pradesh Andhra Pradesh-516360
- District Hospital B D Road, Beside DHO Office, Chitradurga Karnataka- 577501
- District Hospital BH Road, Tumakuru Karnataka-0 District Hospital Dholpur Old City Road Dholpur Rajasthan Rajasthan- 328001
- District Hospital Kanker In Front Of Main Post Office, Main Road, Kanker Chhattisgarh Chhattisgarh-494334
- District Hospital Killa Road, Dharwad Karnataka-580008
- District Hospital Near S P Office, Barshi Road Beed Maharashtra- 431122
- District Hospital Pratapgarh Banswara Road Pratapgarh Rajasthan Rajasthan-312605
- District Hospital Shivaji Ward, Tili Road, Sagar Madhya Pradesh- 470002
- DISTRICT HOSPITAL UJJAIN CHAMUNDA MATA CHOWK AGAR ROAD UJJAIN Madhya Pradesh-456001
- Divisional Railway Hospital Kalyan West, Near 41 Railway Gate, Dist Thane Maharashtra-421301
- Divisional Railway Hospital Madurai Near SBI ATM, Southern Railway Colony, Tamil Nadu-625016
- Domkal Sub Divisional and Super Speciality Hospital Office Of The Superintendent Domkal SD and SS Hospital P.O.and P.S-Domkal, Dist.- Murshidabad, Pin-742303 West Bengal West Bengal-742303
- Dr Kamdar Eye Hospital 123 Second Polo, Kami Marg, Paota, Jodhpur Rajasthan-342006
- Dr Agarwals Eye Hospital No. 10, South By Pass road, Opp. To BSNL, Vannarpettai, Tirunelveli Tamil Nadu-627003
- Dr L H Hiranandani Hospital Hillside Avenue, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, Mumbai Maharashtra-400076
- Dr Chandrakanth Malabar Superspeciality Eye Hospital Kannur Rd, West Nadakkave, Vandipetta, Bilathikkulam, Kozhikode, Kerala Kerala Kerala-673011
- ESI Hospital Jhilmil Shahdara Delhi-110032
- FAKIR MOHAN MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL REMUNA, BALASORE Orissa-756019
- General Hospital Nh-4 Sira Sira Taluk Tumkur District Karnataka- 572137
- General Hospital Sector – 6, Panchkula Haryana-134109
- Giridhar Eye Institute 28/2576 A Ponneth Temple Road, Kadavanthra, Kochi Kerala-682020
- Goutami Eye Institute 1, RV Nagar, Korukonda Road, Rajahmundry Andhra Pradesh Andhra Pradesh-533105
- Government Area Hospital Narsipatnam, Beside Police Station, Chintapalli Road, Narsipatnam, Visakhapatnam District, Andhra Pradesh Andhra Pradesh-531116
- Government District General Hospital Cantonment, Vizianagaram Andhra Pradesh-535003
- Government District General Hospital Noonepalle, Nandyal, Kurnool District Andhra Pradesh-518502
- Government District General Hospital Ramachandraraopet, Eluru, West Godavari District Andhra Pradesh-534006
- Government District Hospital Anakapalli APVVP Pool Baghroad, Near Fruit Market, Anakapalli, Visakhapatnam District Andhra Pradesh- 531001
- Government Head Quarters Hospital Nellikuppam Main Road, Cuddalore Tamil Nadu-607001
- Government Head Quarters Hospital No. 5, Railway Road, Kancheepuram Tamil Nadu-631501
- Government Hospital Gandhi Nagar Jammu Jammu and Kashmir- 180004
- Government Medical College Tires, Kannauj Uttar Pradesh-209732
- Government Medical College and Associated Group of Hospitals Government Medical College, Dungarpur and Associated Group of Hospitals Shri Haridev Joshi Hospital, New Hospital Chauraha, Dungarpur, Rajasthan. Rajasthan-314001
- Government Medical College and Associated Hospital Janglat Mandi, Anantnag Jammu and Kashmir-192101
- Govt. BDK hospital govt. Bdk hospital road no 1 opp. Roadways bus stand main nagar jhunjhunu Rajasthan Rajasthan-333001
- Govt. DB General District Hospital Churu Naya Bass, Churu, Rajasthan Rajasthan-331001
- Govt. District Civil Hospital Suratgarh Road Sri Ganganagar Rajasthan Rajasthan Rajasthan-335001
- Govt. Medical College NH21, Village Rampura, Bharatpur Rajasthan Rajasthan-321001
- Govt. Seth Govind Das (Victoria) District Hospital Omti, Jabalpur Madhya Pradesh-482002
- Habra State General Hospital Habra, North 24 Parganas West Bengal West Bengal-743263
- IGM Hospital Agartala, West Tripura Tripura-799001
- Imambara District Hospital Akhan Bazar Road, Hooghly West Bengal- 712101
- Jagjivan Ram Railway Hospital Maratha Mandir Road, Mumbai Central, Mumbai Maharashtra-400008
- JLN Government Hospital Nagaur Bikaner Road, Nagaur Rajasthan Rajasthan-341001
- KC General Hospital #89 5th Cross Malleshwaram, Bengaluru Kamataka-560003
- K.G. Hospital and PG Medical Institute No.5, Arts College Rd, COIMBATORE Tamil Nadu-641018
- Kabra Eye Hospital C-59,60, Jamna Nagar Sodala Jaipur Raj Rajasthan Rajasthan-302019
- Kandi Sub Divisional Hospital Murshidabad Po+Ps-Kandi, Murshidabad, West Bengal West Bengal-742137
- Kandi Sub Divisional Hospital Murshidabad Po+Ps-Kandi, Murshidabad, West Bengal West Bengal-742137
- Kashyap Memorial eye hospital Pvt. Ltd. Purulia Road, Ranchi Jharkhand Jharkhand-834001
- KHATRA SUB DIVISIONAL HOSPITAL SUB DIVISIONAL HOSPITAL KHATRA West Bengal-722140
- M.R.A. Medical College Ambedkar Nagar, U.P. Saddarpur, Ambedkar Nagar, U.P. 224227 Uttar Pradesh Uttar Pradesh-224227
- Maharana Pratap District Combined Hospital Kutubkhan Road Bareilly Uttar Pradesh-243003
- Mahathma Eye Hospital No.6, Seshapuram, Tennur, Tiruchirappalli Tamil Nadu-620017
- Mahatma Gandhi Hospital Bhilwara Swami Ram Charan Marg, Bhopal Ganj, Bhilwara, Rajasthan Rajasthan Rajasthan-311001
- Mal SSH Mal Bazar, P.O.- Mal, PS-Mal, District-Jalpaiguri West Bengal West Bengal-735221
- Medivision Eye and Health Care Centre 10-3-304/1 to 4, Indira Sadan, Humayun Nagar, Near NMDC, Hyderabad Telangana-500028
- MGM Eye Insitute, 5th Mile, Vidhan Sabha Road, Raipur Chhattisgarh- 493111
- MGM Govt District Hospital Hanumangarh Near New Dhan Mandi Hanumangarh Town Rajasthan Rajasthan-335513
- Nabadwip State General Hospital Pratapnagar, P.o. Nabadwip, P.S. Nabadwip, Dist: Nadia West Bengal West Bengal-741302
- National Institute Of Ophthalmology 1187/30 Off Ghole Road, Shivaji Nagar, PUNE Maharashtra-411005
- North 24 Parganas District Hospital Barasat Banamalipur, Barasat, Kolkata West Bengal-124 P.L. Sharma District Hospital Ahmad Road, Near Ghantaghar, Meerut City Uttar Pradesh-250002
- Pandit Raghunath Murmu Medical College and Hospital At- Rangamatia,Po-Laxmiposi,Baripada, Mayurbhanj Orissa-757107
- Prasad Netralaya Superspeciality Eye Hospital A. J Alse Road Behind Alankar Theatre Udupi Karnataka-576101
- Purba Medinipur District Hospital Tamluk, West Bengal-721636
- Raj Eye Hospital Near Chhatra Sangh Chauraha, Cantt. Road, Gorakhpur Uttar Pradesh-273001
- Rajan Eye Care Hospital No.5 Vidyodaya East, 2nd Street, T. Nagar, CHENNAI Tamil Nadu-600017
- Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital Principal Medical Officer General hospital, Alwar Rajasthan Rajasthan-301001
- ROURKELA GOVT HOSPITAL STI CHOWK RAGHUNATHPALLI PS ROURKELA Orissa-769004
- Ruby Eye Hospital Susruta Nagar, Govinda Bihar, M.G. Road, Berhampur Orissa-760001
- S.K.Hospital Sikar Silver Jubilee Road, Sikar Rajasthan Rajasthan- 332001
- Saijyothi Eye Institute Plot No.185, Road No.1, West Marredpally, Secunderabad Telangana Telangana-500026
- Sankara Nethralaya (A Unit of Medical Research Foundation) No. 147 Mukundapur, EM Bypass, Near Purva Jadupar Thanam, West Bengal- 700099
- SANKARA NETRA CHIKITSALAYA 59-14-1/2, BHARATHI SQUARE BUILDING, GAYATHRI NAGAR, NIRMALA CONVENT SIGNAL, VIJAYAWADA- Andhra Pradesh-520008
- SARASWATI MISSION HOSPITAL AMBALA ROAD, PEHOWA NEAR KHUSHWANT PALACE DISTT. KURUKSHETRA Haryana- 136128
- Second Sight Southend Eye Centre Pvt. Ltd. Dhopagachi, Kundarali, Baruipur, South 24 Parganas, West Bengal, West Bengal-743610
- SETH V. C. GANDHI and M. A. VORA MUNICIPAL GENERAL HOSPITAL (RAJAWADI HOSPITAL) NEAR POST OFFICE, GHATKOPAR EAST MUMBAI Maharashtra-400077
- Shaheed Hasan Khan Mewati Government Medical College Nalhar, Nuh, Haryana-122107
- Sher-I-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Bemina, Srinagar Jammu and Kashmir-190018
- Shri Shiv Prasad Gupta Divisional District Hospital Kabirchaura, Varanasi Uttar Pradesh-221001
- Shri Vinoba Bhave Civil Hospital S.R.Delkar Marg, Saily Road, Silvassa, UT of DNH Dadar and Nagar Haveli-396230
- Siliguri District Hospital Kachhari Road, Siliguri, Darjeeling West Bengal-734001
- SRI SANKARA NETRA CHIKITSALAYA 23A-6-6, NEAR VENKATESWARA SWAMY TEMPLE, RR PETA, ELURU, WEST GODAVARI DISTRICT Andhra Pradesh-534002
- SSG government district hospital Chittorgarh Udaipur road,Senthi, Chittorgarh, Rajasthan Rajasthan-312001
- Suri Sadar Hospital Laldighipara, Suri, Birbhum P. O. – Suri, Dist- Birbhum West Bengal-731101
- Susrut Eye Foundation HB-36/A/1, Sector III, Salt Lake City, Kolkatta West Bengal-700106
- Taluka General Hospital C/o Chief Medical Officer, Taluka General Hospital, Hanamageri Street, Saundatti. Tq-Saundatti Dist-Belgaum Kamataka Kamataka-591126
- Thorat Netra Hospital Amankha Plots, Near LRT commerce college, Akola Maharashtra-444001
- Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Sciences Lummer Dai Road, Naharlagun Arunachal Pradesh-791110
- Udaynarayanpur State General Hospital Village – Jangalpara, P.O. – Singti Shibpur, P.S. – Udaynarayanpur, District – Howrah, West Bengal West Bengal-711226
- Ursala Horsman Memorial Hospital Bada Chuaraha Civil Lines, Kanpur Uttar Pradesh-208001
- Vidyasagar State General Hospital 4 Brahma Samaj Road, Behala, Kolkata West Bengal West Bengal-700034
- Vijaya Hospital New No. 434, Old No. 180, NS K Salai, Vadapalani, CHENNAI Tamil Nadu-600026
- Vishnuprasad Nandrai Desai Municipal General Hospital 11th Road, TPS, Golibar, Santacruz (E) Mumbai Maharashtra-400055
- Yashvedh Healthcare Services 69-18-2-1/2, Beside Lalitha Nagar park, Gaigolupadu Junction Kakinada – 05 East Godavari District Andhra Pradesh Andhra Pradesh-533005
NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology is a two-year postgraduate program that focuses on providing training in the field of Ophthalmology. The course curriculum for NBEMS Diploma in Ophthalmology is available in the Competency-Based Postgraduate Training Programme issued by the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences.
- Basic medical science:
- Orbital and ocular anatomy – Gross, Histology, Embryology
- Ocular Physiology
- Ocular Biochemistry-Biochemistry applicable to the ocular function
- Ocular Microbiology-Specific microbiology applicable to the eye
- Ocular Pathology
- Ocular Pharmacology
- Gain comprehension of the healthy and diseased eye and its components, including their anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, and their significance to the field of ophthalmology.
- Acquire knowledge and apply it to understand how various systems in the body, such as the central nervous system, influence or regulate the structure and function of the eye.
- Acquire knowledge and competency in performing common laboratory procedures used for diagnosing ocular disorders.
- Optics & Refraction:
- Basic physics of optics
- Applied ophthalmic optics
- Applied optics including optical devices
- Disorders of Refraction
- Acquire competence in the assessment of refractive errors and prescription of glasses for all types of refraction problems.
- Acquire basic knowledge of the manufacture and fitting of glasses and competence in judging the accuracy and defects of the dispensed glasses.
- Clinical Ophthalmology
The student will be given adequate opportunity to work, based on graded responsibilities, in outpatients, patients, and in operation theatre (on a rotational basis). Thus, from the day of entry to the completion of the training program, the student shall be able to:
- Acquire a scientific and rational approach to the diagnosis of ophthalmic cases.
- Acquire an understanding of, and develop inquisitiveness to investigate, the cause and effect of diseases.
- To understand the principles, perform observe all routine ophthalmic investigations for example, Slit lamp examination Gonioscopy, Tonometry, Perimetry, Darkroom procedures – Direct & Indirect Ophthalmoscopy. Keratometry, A-scan Biometry etc.
- Manage and treat all types of ophthalmic cases resulting from
- a) Disorders of the Orbit
- b) Disorders of the lids
- c) Disorders of the lacrimal system
- d) Disorders of the Conjunctiva
- e) Disorders of the Sclera
- f) Disorders of the Cornea
- g) Disorders of the Uveal Tract
- h) Disorders of the Lens
- i) Disorders of the Retina & Vitreous
- j) Disorders of the Optic Nerve & Visual Pathway
- k) Glaucoma
- l) Strabismus & Amblyopia
- m) Intraocular Tumours
- n) Neuro-ophthalmology
- o) Pediatric ophthalmology
- p) Ocular involvement in Trauma
- q) Ocular involvement in systemic disease
- Ophthalmic pathological/microbiological/biochemical sciences: The student should be able to interpret the relevant pathological/microbiological/biochemical data, and correlate it with clinical data.
- Imaging Techniques in Ophthalmology: The student should be able to interpret the relevant X-Rays, Ocular USG A-Scan & B-Scan, CT scan etc.
Note: The recommended National Curriculum for ophthalmology residency training includes Annexure-1, which outlines the desired level of content for various aspects of the course, including basic and standard level goals.
- Medical and Surgical Management of Ophthalmic Disorders:
- To demonstrate the knowledge of the pharmacology (including toxic) aspects of drugs used in ophthalmic practice and of drugs commonly used in general diseases affecting the eyes.
- To exhibit competence in the medical management of ophthalmic cases.
- To competently handle and execute safely common surgical procedures on Lens, lid, sac, adnexa and ocular surface including conjunctiva, cornea, sclera etc.
- Be familiar with micro-surgery and special surgical techniques
- To competently handle all ophthalmic medical and surgical emergencies.
- Community Ophthalmology:
- National Program for Control of Blindness and Visual Impairment
- Eye Donation and Eye Banking
iii. Ethical and Medico-legal aspects relevant to the discipline
- Postgraduate students may be able to assist or carry out eye camps; community and school surveys.
- Teaching Methodology: To acquire the basic skills of teaching Nursing and Paramedical professionals.