What is NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine?
The NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine (D Fam. Med.), which is also referred to as the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences Diploma in Family Medicine, is a two-year postgrad The National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences (NBEMS) Diploma in Family Medicine (D Fam. Med.) is a two-year postgraduate course available for doctors in India who have completed their MBBS. This course covers a broad range of illnesses and offers holistic healthcare services to individuals of all ages and genders. It is also known as the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine (D Fam. Med. NBEMS).
This full-time course is available at several recognized medical colleges across the country, such as Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Central Railway Hospital in Mumbai, Maharashtra, Government Multi Specialty Hospital Sector-16 in Chandigarh, and Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital, where the Principal Medical Officer General Hospital is located in Alwar, Rajasthan, among others.
Upon completing the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine (D Fam. Med), graduates can either enter the workforce or pursue advanced degree programs such as master’s or research degrees that are recognized by NBEMS, where the D Fam. Med serves as a qualifying course. Job positions that graduates may take up include Registrar, Senior Resident, Demonstrator, and Tutor in the public sector, while the private sector offers positions such as General Physician, Resident Doctor, Consultant, Visiting Consultant (Family Medicine Specialist), Junior Consultant, Senior Consultant (Family Medicine Specialist), Medical Professor, Medical Researcher, and Lecturer. These positions offer a salary range of approximately Rs. 10,00,000 to Rs. 14,00,000 per annum.
A graduate course that doctors can opt for after completing their MBBS degree.
This program deals with the practice of family medicine, which is a branch of medical science that provides comprehensive healthcare services for individuals of all ages and genders. It involves recommending clinical tests and managing chronic illnesses.
Guidelines for NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine
Guidelines for a competency-based postgraduate training program for the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine have been recently released by the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences (NBEMS).
These guidelines aim to govern the education and training provided in the postgraduate program for NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine. The program is designed to produce specialists who can provide high-quality healthcare and make advancements in the field of medical science through research and training.
- A postgraduate specialist in Family Medicine undergoes training to recognize the healthcare needs of the community and acquire competencies to handle medical issues effectively.
- The specialist is expected to possess a broad range of skills to practice Family Medicine independently as an efficient Otolaryngologist.
- Additionally, the candidate should have knowledge of research methodology and consulting library principles.
- Attending conferences, workshops, and CMEs regularly is also essential to keep up-to-date with the latest advancements in their field.
Here are some of the course highlights of NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine
Name of Course: NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine
Duration of Course: Two years
Course Mode: Full Time
Minimum Academic Requirement:
Candidates must have successfully completed an MBBS degree obtained from any college/university recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI), now the NMC, and should have completed one year of internship.
Admission Process / Entrance Process/ Entrance Modalities:
Entrance Exam (NEET PG), INI CET for various AIIMS, PGIMER Chandigarh, JIPMER Puducherry, NIMHANS Bengaluru, Counseling by DGHS/MCC/State Authorities
Course Fees: Rs. 1,25,000/- per year
Average Salary: Rs. 10,00,000 to Rs. 14,00,000 per annum
To be eligible for admission to the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine, candidates must fulfill certain criteria known as eligibility criteria.
- The eligibility criteria include possessing an MBBS degree or Provisional MBBS Pass Certificate recognized under the provisions of the NBEMS Act, 2019 and the repealed Indian Medical Council Act 1956, and having permanent or provisional registration certificate of MBBS qualification issued by the NBEMS or State Medical Council.
- Additionally, candidates must have completed one year of internship and obtained permanent registration with any State Medical Council.
- The recognition cut-off dates of the medical college for MBBS Degree courses and compulsory rotatory internship must be as prescribed by the Medical Council of India, now NBEMS.
The admission process for the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine involves several steps that candidates must follow:
- Candidates who have completed their MBBS and want to pursue the 2-year Diploma course must qualify for the NEET-PG examination conducted by NBEMS. NEET-PG is held annually according to a set schedule.
- After the NEET-PG results are declared, the Medical Counseling Committee of DGHS, MOHFW, Govt of India conducts merit-based counseling for admissions to various MD/MS/PG Diploma courses, including the 2-year Post MBBS Diploma Programme.
- Once a candidate secures a seat in the NBEMS Diploma course, they are registered with NBEMS as a Diploma Trainee in the respective course.
On average, the fee for the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine is Rs. 1,25,000 per year, with fees generally lower in government institutes and higher in private institutes.
Colleges offering the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine
For the academic year 2022-23, NBEMS has listed several medical colleges in India that provide courses for the NBEMS Diploma in Family Medicine (D Fam. Med.).
- Ahalia Diabetes Hospital Ahalia Campus, Kozhippara (PO), Palakkad (Dt.),Kerala-678557
- Amandeep HospitalDalhousie Road, Mamun Cantt, Pathankot Punjab- 145001
- Anand Rishiji Hospital and Medical Research Centre124-A, Anand Rishiji Marg, AhmednagarMaharashtra-414001
- Associated Hospital Government Medical College Kanthbagh Baramulla Jammu and Kashmir-193101 Aster CMI Hospital #43/2, New Airport Road, NH-7, Sahakara Nagar, Hebbal, Bangalore Karnataka-560092
- Autonomous State Medical College and Allied Pandit Ram Prasad Bismil Memorial HospitalShahjahanpurUttar Pradesh-242001
- Bansal HospitalC Sector, Shahpura Bhopal Madhya Pradesh-462016
- BASEL MISSION CSI HOSPITAL NEAR AMBA BHAVANI CIRCLE, PB ROAD, BETGERI-GADAGKarnataka-582102
- Bhagat Phool Singh Govt. Medical College for WomenKhanpur Kalan (Sonepat)Haryana-131305
- Bhagyoday Tirth Chikitsalaya Khurai Road, Sagar Madhya Pradesh- 470002
- Bhaktivedanta Hospital and Research Institute Srishti Complex, Bhaktivedanta Swami Marg, Mira Road (East), ThaneMaharashtra- 401107
- Bhima Bhoi Medical College and Hospital, Balangir At-Laltikra Po- Rajendra College, BalangirOrissa-767002
- Bombay HospitalIDA Scheme no 94/95, Ring Road, Indore Madhya Pradesh-452010
- Bombay Hospital and Institute of Medical Sciences 12, New Marine Lines, Mumbai, Maharashtra- 400020
- Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar Unit-6, Near Airport, Orissa- 751001
- Central HospitalJagjiwan Nagar, Dhanbad, Jharkhand-826003
- Central Super Speciality HospitalEast Central Railway Near Karbigahiya Railway Station, Karbigahiya Patna Bihar Bihar-800001
- Civil HospitalSector-10, GurugramHaryana-122001
- District Civil Hospital Maharaja Agrasen, Hisar Haryana-125001
- District HospitalB D Road, Beside DHO Office, ChitradurgaKarnataka- 577501
- District HospitalB H Road, Tumakuru Karnataka-0
- District HospitalDholpur Old City Road Dholpur Rajasthan-Rajasthan- 328001
- District HospitalDuderhama GanderbalJammu and Kashmir-191201
- District HospitalK E B Road, HaveriKarnataka-581110
- District HospitalKilla Road, Dharwad Karnataka-580008
- District HospitalKulgamJammu and Kashmir-192231
- DISTRICT HOSPITAL MANDI GATE PANDRIChhattisgarh-492001
- District Hospital Mandi Road Baran Rajasthan-Rajasthan-325205
- District HospitalNear Sangam Circle, Dr Rajkumar Road, BallariKarnataka-583101
- District HospitalNext to Sainik School second gate Athani Road, Vijayapura Karnataka-586103
- District HospitalShivaji Ward, Tili Road, Sagar Madhya Pradesh-470002
- Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Central Railway HospitalOpp- Jijamata Udyan, Byculla (East), Mumbai Maharashtra-400027
- FAKIR MOHAN MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL REMUNA, BALASOREOrissa-756019
- Felix HospitalNH-01, Sector-137, Expressway, Noida Uttar Pradesh Uttar Pradesh-201305
- General HospitalSector – 6, Panchkula Haryana-134109
- Gheesibai Memorial Mittal Hospital and Research Centre Pushkar Road, Family Medicine – D Fam. Med. (NBEMS) Ajmer Rajasthan-305004
- General HospitalKarauli Old Sabzi Mandi Hindaun Gate Rajasthan- Rajasthan-322241
- Government District Hospital Bundi Government District Hospital In Front Of Bus Stand Bundi Rajasthan-Rajasthan-323001
- Government District General Hospital Noonepalle, Nandyal, Kurnool DistrictAndhra Pradesh-518502
- Government HeadQuarters HospitalEVN Road, Erode Tamil Nadu- 638009
- Government HeadQuarters Hospital Nellikuppam Main Road, Cuddalore Tamil Nadu-607001
- Government Headquarters HospitalNo. 5, Railway Road, Kancheepuram Tamil Nadu-631501
- Government HospitalNear Tilak Nagar Bus Stand, Barmer Rajasthan- 344001
- Government Medical College and Associated Group of Hospitals Government Medical College, Dungarpur and Associated Group of Hospitals Shri Haridev Joshi Hospital, New Hospital Chauraha, Dungarpur, Rajasthan Rajasthan-314001
- Government Medical College and Associated Hospital Janglat Mandi, Anantnag Jammu and Kashmir -192101
- Government Medical College and Bangur HospitalNh62 Sumerpur Road Village Ramasiya Pali Rajasthan-Rajasthan-306401
- Government Medical College and Super Facility Hospital Chakrapanpur, Azamgarh, Vill-Chakrapanpur, Post-Kanaila, Distt.-Azamgarh Uttar Pradesh-276128
- Government Medical College Hospital (Formerly Government HeadQuarters Hospital) Virudhunagar Tamil Nadu-626001
- Government Medical College, Ramanathapuram Lathams Bungalow Road, Ramanathapuram Tamil Nadu-623501
- Government Multi Specialty HospitalSector-16, Chandigarh-160016
- Govt. BDK hospital govt. Bdk hospital road no 1 opp. Roadways bus stand maan nagar jhunjhunu Rajasthan-Rajasthan-333001
- Govt. District Civil Hospital Suratgarh Road Sri Ganganagar Rajasthan Rajasthan Rajasthan-335001
- Govt. Mahatma Gandhi District HospitalCollector-Ate Chauraha, Near Mohan Colony Banswara Rajasthan-Rajasthan-327001
- Govt. Medical CollegeNH21, Village Rampura, Bharatpur Rajasthan- Rajasthan-321001
- Hiranandani HospitalVashi. A Fortis Network Hospital. Mini Seashore Road, Sector 10-A, Vashi, Navi – Mumbai – 400703. Maharashtra-400703
- Holy Family Hospital Okhla road New Delhi Delhi-110025
- Holy Family Hospital St. Andrew’s Road, Bandra West, Mumbai Maharashtra-400050
- IGM HospitalAgartala, West TripuraTripura-799001
- Jagjivan Ram Railway Hospital Maratha Mandir Road, Mumbai Central, Mumbai Maharashtra-400008
- Jan Swasthya Sahyog, Vill. and PO Ganiyari District Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh-495112
- JLNM HospitalRainawari SrinagarJammu and Kashmir-190001
- KC General Hospital #89 5th Cross Malleshwaram, Bengaluru Karnataka-560003
- Kainos Super Speciality HospitalKheri Sadh Bypass, Delhi Road, Rohtak, Haryana-124021
- KMC Specialty HospitalNo. 6, Royal Road, Cantonment, Trichy Tamil Nadu-620001
- Lala Harbhagwan Dass Memorial and Dr Prem Hospital Han Saroop Colony, Opp Bus Stand, Panipat Haryana-132103
- M.R.A. Medical CollegeAmbedkar Nagar, U.P. Saddarpur, Ambedkar Nagar, U.P. 224227 Uttar Pradesh
- Maharaja SuhelDev Medical College and Maharishi Balark HospitalBahraich k. D. C. Road BahraichUttar Pradesh-271801
- Mahatma Gandhi HospitalBhilwara Swami Ram Charan Marg, Bhopal Ganj, Bhilwara, Rajasthan-311001
- Marwari HospitalsSati Jaymati Road, Athgaon, Guwahati, Assam Assam Assam-781008
- Medical Trust Hospital M G Road, Kochi Kerala-682016
- MGM HealthCare Private LimitedNew No 72, Old No 54, Nelson Manickam Road, Aminjikarai, Chennai 600029 Tamil Nadu-600029
- MMI Narayana Multispeciality Hospital(Unit of Narayana Hrudayalaya Ltd) Dhamtari Road, Lalpur Chhattisgarh-492001
- Mohandai Oswal Hospital GT Road, Sherpur By-Pass, Ludhiana Punjab- 141009
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital(NH-Narayana Health City, Bangalore) #258/A, Bommasandra Industrial Area, Anekal Taluk, Bangalore Karnataka-560099
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Surgical HospitalCAH 1, 3rd Phase, Devanur, MysuruKarnataka-570019
- Narayana Multispeciality Hospital(unit of MMRHL) Andul Road, Chunavati, Howrah West BengalWest Bengal-711109
- Narayana Multispeciality HospitalSec-28, Rana Sanga Marg, Pratap Nagar, Jaipur Rajasthan-302033
- Noble Hospital153, Magarpatta City Road, Hadapsar, Pune Maharashtra- 411013
- Popular MedicareN-10/60 A-2 Dlw ad Kakarmatta, Varanasi Uttar Pradesh-221004
- Pushpanjali Hospital and Research Centre Pushpanjali Palace, Delhi Gate, Agra Uttar Pradesh-282002
- Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac SciencesPremises No.1489, 124, Mukundapur, EM Bypass, Near Santoshpur Connector, Family Medicine -D Fam. Med. (NBEMS) KOLKATAWest Bengal-700099
- Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital Principal Medical Officer General hospital, Alwar Rajasthan-Rajasthan-301001
- Rangadore Memorial Hospital 1st Cross, Shankarapuram, basavanagudi, Family Medicine – D Fam. Med. (NEEMS) BangaloreKarnataka-560004
- Rani Durgavati Medical College(Formerly known as Government Allopathic Medical College) Banda Tindwari Road, BandaUttar Pradesh- Family Medicine – D Fam. Med. (NBEMS) 210001
- Ruban Memorial Hospital19/Patliputra Colony Near Patliputra Golambar PatnaBihar-800013
- Rural Development Trust Hospital Kadiri Road, Bathalapalli, Anantapur Family Medicine-D Fam. Med. (NBEMS) Andhra Pradesh-515661
- S.K.Hospital Sikar Silver Jublee Road, Sikar Rajasthan-Rajasthan- 332001
- Sadhu Vaswani Missions Medical Complex(earlier known as Inlaks and Budhrani Hospital) 7-9, Koregaon Park, Pune Maharashtra-411001
- Saket HospitalSector 10, Meera Marg, Mansarovar, Jaipur Rajasthan- 302020
- Sher-1-Kashmir Institute of Medical SciencesSaura, Srinagar-Jammu and Kashmir-190011
- Shri Vinoba Bhave Civil HospitalS.R.Delkar Marg, Saily Road, Silvassa, UT of DNH Dadra and Nagar Haveli-396230
- SNR District HospitalKolarKarnataka-563101
- South Western Railway, Central Hospital Gadag Road, Hubli Karnataka-580020
- SSG government district hospital Chittorgarh Udaipur road,Senthi, Chittorgarh, Rajasthan-312001
- Sudha HospitalsNo. 162, 181 Perundurai Road Erode Tamil Nadu- 638011
- Sumitra HospitalA-119 A, Sector -35, Noida, Uttar Pradesh Uttar Pradesh-201301
- Trustwell Hospitals Pvt. LtdNo.5, Chandrika Towers, JC Road, Bangalore Karnataka Karnataka-560002
- Vadamalayan HospitalBlock A and B, 9A Vallabai Road, Chokkikulam, MaduraiTamil Nadu-625002
- Venkateshwar HospitalSector 18a, Dwarka,Delhi-110075
- Venugram HospitalCTS 785, 2nd Cross, Hindu Nagar, Near 3rd Railway Family Medicine – D Fam. Med. (NBEMS) 4 Gate, Belagavi, Karnataka KarnatakaKarnataka-590006