MDS Periodontics stands for Master of Dental Surgery (Periodontics) and is a three-year postgraduate program that focuses on diagnosing and treating diseases related to the teeth’s structure and associated parts, such as gums, periodontal membranes, cementum, and alveolar bone. The program emphasizes preventive measures for these diseases. To be eligible for MDS Periodontics, candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s in Dental Surgery (BDS) from a Dental Council of India recognized institution. Additionally, candidates must have attained a minimum age of 21 years while applying for the course.
To gain admission to MDS Periodontics, candidates must typically take entrance exams such as NEET PG, state-level exams, or institute-level tests. However, some institutions may offer direct admission based on a candidate’s marks in their undergraduate degree.
Top colleges in India offering MDS Periodontics include Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, King George’s Medical University, Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre, and Institute of Medical Sciences. The average cost of the program in India falls between INR 6,00,000 to INR 35,00,000.
MDS Periodontics covers a range of subjects such as Etiopathogenesis, Applied Basic Science, Preventive Periodontology, Pathology, and more. After completing the program, graduates can pursue various job roles such as Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Dental Lab
Technician/Ceramist, Dental Surgeon, or work in healthcare panels, hospitals, multi-specialty clinics, government and private dental institutions, or defense services as consultants. The average salary for MDS Periodontics graduates ranges between INR 3 LPA to 20 LPA, and top recruiters include research institutes, universities, teaching hospitals, and NGOs.
MDS Periodontics Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Master of Dental Surgery in Periodontics|
|Examination Type||Semester based|
|Age Criteria||Minimum 21 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Dental Surgery|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Based|
|Average Fee||INR 6,00,000 – INR 35,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA – INR 20 LPA|
|Job Profiles||Consultant, Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Dental Lab Technician/ Ceramist, Dental Surgeon etc|
|Employment Areas||Defence Services, Government and Private Dental Institutions, Healthcare Panels, Hospitals, Multi-Specialty Clinics, Polyclinics etc|
MDS Periodontics: What is it About?
- MDS Periodontics offers extensive care and information for individuals dealing with gum diseases, whether they are children or adults.
- The course helps students understand how healthy tissues can support teeth and maintain their long-term health.
- The curriculum equips students to prevent prospective patients from various oral diseases, such as gingivitis, periodontal ligament problems, root cementum issues, and other related problems.
- After completing the course, students have the option to conduct research in the field of periodontics.
- With comprehensive knowledge, periodontists can perform both surgical and non-surgical procedures with ease to help patients with periodontal illnesses.
- Once a person becomes a periodontist, they are fully capable of treating various oral problems. Some of the common treatments performed by periodontists include scaling and root planing, cosmetic gum surgeries, alveolar bone surgeries, curettage, gum surgeries, and more.
MDS Periodontics: Course Benefits
There are various benefits that candidates can obtain after completing MDS Periodontics, including:
- Increased exposure to the real world, with the option to work in the private or government sector.
- Deeper knowledge and skills for providing relief from oral problems.
- The opportunity to pursue higher studies in India or abroad.
- Possibility of becoming a professor in any dental institution for those interested in academics.
- The ability to open their own clinic after completion of the course.
- Practical exposure through participation with qualified dentists in the field during the program.
MDS Periodontics Admission Process
Admissions to MDS Periodontics is either entrance based or based on the candidate’s performance in the last qualifying examinations followed by interview.
- Candidates must fill out the application form for the respective entrance exams before the deadline and appear for the exam on the scheduled date.
- Eligibility for MDS Periodontics requires candidates to pass NEET MDS, AIIMS PG, or equivalent entrance exams.
- Candidates applying to institutes that provide direct admissions only need to fill out the application form and admission is based on their marks at the graduation level.
- Some institutes conduct their own entrance exams or rely on state or national level entrance exams.
- Merit lists will be prepared based on the candidates’ performance, and they will be provided with a list of dental colleges, universities, or institutions to choose from.
- Candidates must also appear for counseling rounds to secure their seats in the program.
MDS Periodontics: Eligibility Criteria
The detailed eligibility criteria for MDS Periodontics is mentioned below:
- To be eligible for MDS Periodontics, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Dental Surgery (BDS) from a Dental Council of India recognized institution.
- Foreign nationals seeking admission in an Indian institution must obtain temporary registration from the Dental Council of India for the duration of their postgraduate training.
- Candidates must be at least 21 years of age at the time of application for MDS Periodontics.
- It is mandatory for candidates to be in good physical health and free from any illness or medical condition that may impede their application.
MDS Periodontics: Entrance Exams
AIIMS PG 2023
ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES POST GRADUATE
ALL INDIA PG DENTAL ENTRANCE EXAM
NEET MDS 2023
NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY CUM ENTRANCE TEST FOR MASTERS OF DENTAL SURGERY
INI CET 2023
INSTITUTE OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE COMBINED ENTRANCE TEST
POST GRADUATE INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
RAMA UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE TEST
MDS Periodontics: Tips to get the Best College
Getting admission to MDS Periodontics is a daunting task. If in any case, you haven’t prepared properly, you might lose the chance of getting admission to the best college/ institution as per your wish. Here are some tips that you can consider while enrolling in the best college/ institution:
- First make a list of colleges or institutions that you are considering to get your admission into. Compare the costs, location, amenities, future possibilities etc of different colleges.
- After carefully cutting and trimming, you’ll get the option which college is more favorable than others.
- Do your research on the internet if you feel lost and try to be confident while choosing the best.
- While selecting any college/ institution/ university, look after their placement options and job prospect because that’s what you will need in the future.
- The college/ institution/ university alumni network. It will give you a comprehensive idea about their alumni network and treatment.
- Prepare all the documents beforehand so that you won’t face any rejection later on.
MDS Periodontics: Syllabus
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Physiology||Applied Basic Science|
|Pathology||Presentation of your scientific paper at the conferences|
|Pre-Clinical Work and Clinical Work||Clinical Work|
|Presentation of your scientific paper/poster at different conferences|
|Clinical Work: Regenerative techniques Record, maintenance, follow up of all treated cases|
MDS Periodontics: Top Colleges in India
|Name of the College/ University||Average Fees|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi||INR 15,600|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||INR 1,08,200|
|Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre, Moradabad||INR 4,00,000|
|Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak||INR 21,153|
|Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi||INR 14,326|
|Government Dental College and Hospital, Mumbai||INR 84,100|
|Dr R Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata||INR 18,000|
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh||INR 22,370|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi||INR 18,600|
|Chatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Shikshan Sanstha’s Dental College, Aurangabad||INR 3,98,000|
|SVS School of Dental Sciences, Mahabub Nagar||INR 1,80,000|
|Narayana Dental College and Hospital, Nellore||INR 3,70,000|
|Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada||INR 2,67,300|